£45,000 to £60,000 plus Car Allowance
Recruit12 Construction has a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic Design/Technical Manager to join our construction team, as a Design/Technical Manager, you will work in the Pre-Construction Department working directly with Estimation and Procurement as well as closely with the Project Management and Commercial Departments to ensure successful project delivery from estimation through to handover.
Ensuring project design phases are delivered on time, in line with the project budget and right first time. This position will be responsible for providing project design and technical support including management of the design team, sub-contractor design, procurement & project design coordination.
To be successful as a Design/Technical Manager, you should demonstrate experience in managing the design process. Outstanding Design/Technical Managers are proactive in advising, reporting, and controlling all design information and the design process in general.
The Design/Technical Manager will also assist the Commercial Department in providing commercial change due to design changes for projects to maximise returns.
Top three goals
- All projects to be designed and coordinated as per program of works
- Design management procedures to be created and implemented
- Assist in the set-up of the pre-construction department
As a Design/Technical Manager your responsibilities will include the following:
- Supporting senior members of the team in the day-to-day management and delivery of projects. Working across several different projects where applicable
- Demonstrate effective design management skills in all tasks
- Understand the client’s brief, ER’s, specification, and drawings and as far as practicable ensure the project is built accordingly, assisting in the resolution of any ER discrepancies with the commercial team as they arise
- Assist in setting up document control and information portals/systems
- Assist with preparing trackers to manage the full build process using the proformas
- Understand the Design Risk Assessment (DRA) and assist in the ongoing Technical Audits
- Assist in the management of the information release schedule (IRS) Building and MEP using pro forma documents
- Assist in the updating of the Risk Register using the pro-forma with the assistance of the design and site team
- Assist in the development of the procurement schedule and be actively involved in the procurement process for all the packages commencing with consultant’s appointments
- Attend and sometimes chair design team meetings and prepare minutes
- Assist in tracking the design development process, using CDCP, RFI protocols, etc
- Understand the requirements of BREEAM and help manage the process through the appointed consultants looking for best value design to economically meet code compliance
- Assist with the development of sub-contractors and suppliers’ design/specs with the design team, ensuring that full ER and Statutory compliance is met
- Assist with the co-ordination of drawings and check that the drawings comply with the ER’s and Standards
- Review the issued information to ensure that it is of the correct standard and is fully detailed with ‘For Construction Status’
- Take part in the sampling process and technical submissions including the production of the samples sign off proforma
- Assist in the production and collation of the O&M manuals
- Take an active role within the QA process of the project
- Undertake relevant training as required by the organisation
- Your duties may vary from time to time within the broad remit of your role and grade. You are required to undertake any such reasonable and appropriate duties
To be successful as a Design/Technical Manager, you must have:
- Monitor design management timescales across projects
- Tracking design risk register progress
- Drive down factory design timescales
- Full driving license, preferably clean
- Architecture Degree/Construction Related Degree or similar, e.g., Completion of construction related apprenticeship
- 5-10 years of experience in design management for a contractor
- Proven Knowledge of SMART Waste, BREEAM and Building Regulations
- Contract awareness
- Proven Understanding of NHBC Standards
- Experience of working on high end projects
- Experience of using AutoCAD, Adobe Document Management, Microsoft Project would be beneficial
- Knowledge of Structural Engineering & Calculations would be beneficial
- Evidence of working on several projects simultaneously in and delivering them all on time and to the expected standard.
- Evidence highlighting a clear understanding of materials and their capabilities.
- Previous experience developing a successful team
- Exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Exceptional listening and questioning skills
- Excellent time management and planning skills
- Great analytical and Microsoft Office (incl. Advanced Excel) skills
- Confident ability to read CAD drawings
- Analytical and logical problem-solving skills, with the ability to think outside the box.
- Great attention to detail
- The ability to build a rapport quickly.
- An ability to work with explain complex technical drawings in a clear straight forward manner
Recruit12 is a recruitment specialist working within the Construction, Automotive, Aerospace, and World-Class manufacturing sectors.
Important: Please note Recruit12 is only able to place into employment candidates that have a valid EU passport, a European Economic Area (EEA) passport or a valid UK visa.