Salary Negotiable with an excellent benefits package
Recruit12 Construction has a fantastic opportunity for a Design Manager to join a specialist construction company that is working within construction, interiors, and modular build.
Reporting to the Preconstruction Director the purpose of this role will deliver technically compliant, cost-efficient design solutions on construction projects during the work-winning stage and through the project delivery stage. You will assist with submissions and have an excellent appreciation of the clients' needs, ensuring that all questions have been answered in full, providing a commercial solution with the best possible chance of success.
You will manage the design of complex projects by utilising construction knowledge and experience to develop innovative and cost-effective design solutions in conjunction with the design team, apply value engineering principles to ensure the best value for all parties, and ensure an effective construction phase by applying an understanding of site management practices, risks, costs, and coordination.
As a Design Manager, your main responsibilities will include:
- Develop innovative design solutions to client's briefs and contractor’s proposals whilst controlling the professional design team and subcontractors
- Develop relationships with clients from concept stages onwards manage expectations of the project through regular communication and discussions regarding requirements and specifications
- Manage the relationship for the whole project team - with the client, subcontractors and professional team and resolve any queries
- Identify and check contents for Contractors Proposals, qualifications list, design information and marketing documentation to accompany the tender
- Adopt a proactive approach to value engineering throughout the design phase, by keeping up to date with the latest construction techniques and legislation
- Review the design on an ongoing basis, identify potential interface problems & practicalities in construction, and resolve with the design team and specialist subcontractors where appropriate
- Ensure a smooth handover of the project to the project team, by becoming involved in the initial stages of project management on-site, if required
- Attend Contractor selection interviews, including preparation beforehand
- Thoroughly appraise tender documentation when received to identify risk, opportunity, insufficient information, inadequate or incorrect design
- Oversee the subcontract enquiries to subcontractor designed packages
- Vet the Design Team. Ensuring terms and conditions of appointment/novation are acceptable, the lead designer role is defined and all services we would normally expect are included
- Manage design team throughout the project and hold, and minute design team meetings as appropriate
- Assist with Bid Management / Tender from first enquiry through to award of contract.
To be successful as a Design Manager, you must have:
- Experience of working within the construction industry, specifically on the design and build of new build and refurbishment projects.
- Good knowledge of current CDM and Building Regulations
- Experience in managing document management systems
- Competent user of Microsoft packages e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word
- Experience of PowerProject, Asta or similar (desirable)
- Well-developed Technical Construction knowledge
- Proven experience of working within a Design Manager’s role for the main contractor
- A relevant CSCS card
- A driving licence
- Ability to communicate with a range of people at all levels, both verbally and in writing
- Commercial judgement of design decisions
- Adaptable and flexible
- Ability to plan, organise and manage all aspects of the design
- Analytical problem solver
- Client and customer-focused in order to build productive relationships
- Ability to make reasoned and informed judgements and decisions
- Ability to work independently and also in a team environment
- Effective leadership skills (essential).
- Be a member of a professional body (e.g. CIOB, RICS, ICE, RIBA)
- Degree or other relevant third level education in construction management or a related subject.
If you are excited by the prospect of this role as a Design Manager, then please apply immediately.