£75,000 to £88,000
Recruit12 Construction has a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic Commercial Manager to join the commercial team reporting to the Operations Director.
Key to success is to build excellent working relationships with the various stakeholders to ensure that the business deliver superb projects that protect and further enhance our reputation.
You will ensure that project deadlines are met, and relay important project information as needed.
To be successful as the Commercial Manager, you should demonstrate exceptional skills and talent in building strong personal relationships.
You will also have the experience in managing and administering complex contracts, have a comprehensive Commercial Acumen and knowledge of Construction Methods is essential.
A proactive and personable temperament will enhance liaising with the clients and the businesses sales and Construction team and will prevent construction delays and unnecessary/additional costs.
Top three goals
- Ensure Contracts are administered correctly to reduce contractual, commercial, and financial risk to the business. Whilst also ensuring all commercial opportunities are realised.
- Ensure Commercial reporting for the entire business is forecast, robust and accurate to maintain or improve our forecast Gross Profit from the Budget Estimates.
- Ensure that the Commercial team have leadership and strategic direction. As well as making sure that Monthly Payment Applications, Payment Certificates and Cashflow projections are submitted on time as per contractual requirements.
Key Performance Indicators
- Monitor costs and gross profit margins across the business and projects
- Monthly commercial reviews, monitoring, and reporting
- Compare commercial performance within and across projects
As a Commercial Manager your responsibilities will include the following:
- The Commercial Manager is responsible for the entire commercial dept
- Liaising with the Accounting and Finance team for Cash Flow forecasting
- Budget planning, monitoring, and forecasting
- Liaising with the Estimating, tendering and procurement depts
- Contract administration, valuation, variations, disputes, claims and negotiation
- Protecting the business through management of project progress, having a detailed understanding of the projects demands and costs
- Preparation of tender and contract documents including Bills of Quantities (through the commercial team)
- Reviewing Contract, Agreements, Terms & Conditions
- Negotiation of Subcontract Agreements
- Advising clients and the company team members on legal matters and disputes
- Monitoring subcontractors, construction progress and any changes which may impact costs
- Preparing labour and supplier accounts for payment (through the commercial team)
- Daily, Weekly & Monthly reporting
- Cashflow forecasts
- Monthly invoicing and payment certification
- Develop, maintain, and implement the company’s commercial policies and procedures.
- Co-ordinating with the Sales Team on new and upcoming projects so that they are scheduled well in advance to optimise best commercial practice
- Reporting any concerns that might negatively impact projected cost and time estimates
To be successful as a Commercial Manager, you must have:
- Full driving license, preferably clean
- Bachelor's degree in quantity surveying or similar
- 10-15 years of experience in the construction industry working for a Contractor
- Proven Commercial Management experience and Commercial Acumen
- Strong leadership skills to guide and motivate the team
- Excellent organisational skills to balance and prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of project management and risk management
- Solid financial skills, including financial reporting abilities
- Robust knowledge of construction contracts, building regulations and industry trends
- Strong strategic and negotiation skills to make sound commercial decisions
- Strategically expanding, preserving, or improving company commercial procedures and standards
- Resolving contractual and commercial problems
- Overseeing financial key performance indicators (KPIs) of the business, projects, and commercial team
- Offering financial direction and instruction to the project teams, ensuring they understand key aspects of the contract
- Reporting on financial performance to the Operations Director and the Senior Management Team
- Managing and mentoring the commercial team
- Experience of building strong relationships with clients and external contacts to encourage future working and influence outcomes
- Proven experience in setting, managing, and changing budgets in line with business needs
- Proven track record of driving continuous departmental improvements
- Clear evidence of the ability to research, interpret and summarise complex information in a way that is relevant and easily understood both orally and in writing to a variety of audiences
- Proven experience working to and achieving tight deadlines in high pressure situations
- Clear understanding of construction methods and technology
- Strong commercial awareness and innate Commercial Acumen
- Excellent client liaison and people management skills
- Extensive understanding of the construction industry
- Good analytical, financial and numeracy skills
- Attention to detail
- Sound knowledge of contracts and the legal framework
- Good leadership skills
- A flair for analysis, troubleshooting and problem solving
- Good IT skills, including familiarity with a range of applications
- Organised and excellent time management skills
- Positive and enthusiastic
- A good communicator with people at all levels of the organisation
- Exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Exceptional listening and questioning skills
- Analytical and logical problem-solving skills, with the ability to think outside the box.
Recruit12 is a recruitment specialist working within the Construction, Automotive, Aerospace, and World-Class manufacturing sectors.
Important: Please note Recruit12 is only able to place into employment candidates that have a valid EU passport, a European Economic Area (EEA) passport or a valid UK visa.